Saturday, January 28, 2017

And, so, I will blog. And this is why....


No, really- we'll have four kids menus PLUS a highchair...yep, 5 kids....no, it's not a birthday party. It's just dinner.

17 years ago, in a flash, I earned the title of mom.
Since that day, I've added "ex-wife", "wife" and "step mom" to my story. And, in a final chapter of mystery and miracles, 16 years after the first,  another little voice to call me "mom".

Almost daily I am reminded of the precious commodity called time and of my own human inability to recall all of the stories of its passing.

When you browse the parenting and family aisle of the bookstore, you may as well be browsing the archives of MY story. In the 17 years since that first tiny, slimy baby girl made her way into the deepest parts of my heart, my wild story has been woven to create a full treasury of lessons learned and taught.

I've never read a parenting book I fully understood or agreed with - and I've never read one I didn't learn something from. I've never met a mom who didn't teach me something about myself or experienced a day that didn't rock my world about some belief I though was black and white.

I am often asked for parenting or marriage advice. Not because I'm perfect- but, because I've walked a long way. 

I've spoken many times about writing a book or a blog. I say it'll be called "Diapers to Dating" because, that is the story of my day. 
- I change my son's diaper while discussing dating and sex with my daughter
- I debate and discuss sleep training and reasonable curfew times with my husband and then turn around and research "ADHD treatments" and "how to fill out the college FAFSA form if you're divorced" - all in one sitting. 
- I attempt to assemble healthy meals in the face of days that are too short and grocery stores that are too busy
- I try to obey the word of God above the latest and greatest parenting or relationship fad or trend 

and, I do it all knowing that I'll mess a lot of it up- I'll get some of it right - but, through it all I'll love my family fiercely and completely every day. 

I've decided today is the day I start my blog. Not because I hope you read it or because I think I have a great solution to any issue you may have. But, because I've said I want to and, my children are watching. 

This "parenting" blog IS, in it's very existence, a parenting move. My children are watching and what do I want them to see?

I want them to see me EXECUTING my hopes and dreams. 

Why?

Because I want to look into all five of those sets of eyes and be able to say:

"YOU, my child, can and should pursue and execute your ideas. Put pen to paper, shoe leather to pavement, wings in the sky...whatever it takes...to be in action, to live your life fully and completely- To lay down at the end of your day fully exhausted and completely excited to wake up and do more. Even if you turn around and say blah- I don't actually like this...it's OK...you TRIED, do not wait, do not be afraid to grab your ideas and LIVE them."

That's why. 

So, I will blog. I will blog about the small and big things I know, learn, believe and experience. I will blog about being called mom, about marriage, about my body...about the human experience of being a woman in a house, doing my best to love my husband and to raise great humans.

Welcome to my blog!

Jessica

4 comments:

  1. I'll read yours if you read mine. :)

    http://laurakornish.com/2016/08/leaving-your-kid-at-college/

    ReplyDelete